What Drives a Customer Away, Perhaps Forever?
We've learned a lot about what customer service and satisfaction are and a whole lot more about who our customers are and how to find out what they want from us, but now is the time to learn what our customers absolutely will not tolerate! We can even label these don'ts as the straws that break the customer's back.
|The Ten Deadly Sins of Customer Service|
(Anderson and Zemke, Delivering Knock Your Socks Off Service, p. 36)
Using the wrong words with the wrong intent and the wrong tone can add fire to any argument with a customer or start an argument so trust me…don't ever use the following words (this is a partial list).
- There's no way…
- I don't handle that.
- Our computers are down.
- I don't have time.
- So what do you want me to do about it?
- I'm very busy right now.
- I can't find any record of it.
- We have done the best we could do.
- I don't have to take this from you.
- You don't have to be rude about it.
- I'm just doing my job.
- Please don't use that language or I'll leave.
- I'm sorry…I can get into trouble if I…
- (Fake a smile and say in a sassy voice)…"Have a nice day!"
A customer is not someone to argue or match wits with. No one ever won an argument with a customer.