Online Writing Course | Effective Business Writing
Online Class Covering Effective Business Writing
In professional settings it is extremely important to communicate well and to understand how to use writing to effectively communicate your thoughts. Effective business writing skills help you to communicate information efficiently and clearly. Our online writing course covers the importance of written business communications while teaching you methods for keeping your writing direct and concise.
Target Audience: Our online writing course is designed for people who are employed, or looking for employment in a professional setting. Learners should have a basic understanding of writing and grammar.
Video Presentations Author: Dr. Lisa A. Sisco is a professor in the Alan Shawn Feinstein Graduate School at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. She teaches courses in written and oral communications in their MBA program with an emphasis on Business Writing. She is also the author of Strategic Communication: Persuasion at Work.
- Self-paced online course
- Online course cost: $125.00
- Earn 5.0 PDUs or 0.5 CEUs
- Start course right away
Online Writing Course Outline
Course Module 1 – Effective Communication
- Why Effective Communication Matters
- How We Communicate
- Video / Exercise – Jargon in Writing
- Factors for Effective Business Communication
- Video / Exercise – Knowing Your Audience
- Ethical Communication
- Writing Self-Assessment
Course Module 2 – Organizing & Structuring Writing
- Communication Checklist
- Writing and Communicating with Purpose
- Who is Your Audience? What Is Your Message?
- Outlining: Formal and Informal
- Brainstorming Techniques
- Overcoming Writer’s Block
Course Module 3 – Writing Effectively
- Writing Concisely
- Writing Quickly
- Simplified Structuring
- Video / Exercise – Revising and Editing
- Revising Jargon
- Additional Web Resources
Online Writing Course Key Features
- Online, self-paced course
- Open enrollment 24/7/365
- No prerequisites
- Interactive review exercises
- Professional videos with complete transcripts
- Ask the Expert feature - Submit questions directly to our experts
- PDU/Contact Hour and/or CEU Certificate
Effective Business Writing Objectives
After completing Effective Business Writing, you'll be able to:
- Recognize the difference between effective and ineffective writing.
- Define the four major factors contributing to effective business writing.
- Recognize the role of the audience and understanding their needs.
- Employ formal and informal outlining techniques.
- List and recognize techniques for overcoming writer's block.
- Recognize the importance and dangers of writing quickly.
- Revise for wordiness, unnecessary phrases, redundancy and jargon.
- Write effective business emails and recognize the appropriate use of email in organizational settings.
- Develop checklists for organizing, writing and revising.